Vets Now, Manchester
Salary up to £53,000 DOE plus benefits package
Vets Now provides a trusted out-of-hours emergency and critical care service to more than 1000 veterinary practices across the UK, from 55 dedicated out-of-hours clinics and three 24/7 pet emergency and specialist referral hospitals. We treat around 100,000 pets every year.
Our team of Veterinary professionals offer emergency and critical care, but also offer speciality referrals for orthopaedic surgery, soft tissue surgery, oncology and internal medicine. The Hospital offers diagnostic imaging, including radiography, ultrasonography and CT in addition to some of the most advanced technology available in veterinary medicine.
Due to our continued growth, we have an exciting opportunity available for an experienced commercial manager to join us as Hospital Manager in Manchester. The main purpose of this role is to drive the profitability of the 24/7 Hospital, to ensure the Hospital runs smoothly and efficiently on a day to day basis, and to line manage the Management team.
- Provide good leadership, ensuring all staff are committed to both the clinical and financial outcome of the business.
- Provide leadership across a 24/7 operation, ensuring operational efficiencies are achieved within the 24/7 environment and all teams (day and night) work cohesively and seamlessly together.
- Work in tandem with the senior clinical team to ensure excellent clinical standards are maintained across the whole hospital, while at the same time working within a commercial setting.
- Consistently promote and maintain excellent teamwork across the Hospital.
- Promotes excellent client care and ensure the whole hospital team is focussed on the delivery of an excellent service that exceeds client expectations.
- Actively ensure that relationships are built with referring practices through outreach programme, clinician visits, CPD events etc.
- Plan and implement systems and resources to ensure the hospital functions efficiently and effectively. Constantly review processes in order to develop concise standard operating procedures across the entire hospital business.
- Work closely with the Marketing team to increase the profile of Vets Now through marketing strategies and building external relationships within the Veterinary profession.
- Works with the Hospital Managers in other Vets Now sites to ensure synergies in staffing and develop efficiencies in use of equipment and supplier negotiations.
- Ensure our Values of the organisation are recognised by all staff and are the core behind our behaviour and interaction with colleagues and clients.
- Empower employees to take responsibility for their jobs and goals through delegation and regular feedback.
- Anticipate staffing requirements and proactively recruit appropriate personnel.
- Provide effective performance feedback through employee recognition, PDR’s, rewards and performance management (where required).
- To ensure health and safety of all employees and maintain Veterinary Hospital standards through participation in the RCVS Practice Standards Scheme.
Key skills & experience required
- Significant experience at senior management level in a commercial environment. Commercial acumen gained in a complex organisation/industry (e.g. retail).
- Experience of working in a fixed cost business with overall responsibility for P&L.
- Demonstrable track record in driving sales and/or caseload volume.
- Demonstrable ability to translate key business priorities into a structured business plan, and deliver the plan in line with overall organisational requirements.
- A strong leader who is able to gain results through people.
- Excellent people management skills with the ability to inspire, engage and motivate professional people to deliver outstanding customer and clinical care.
- Confident in identifying behaviour that obstructs achievement of business objectives and proactively manages conflict in the workplace.
- Able to spot and nurture talent and ensure the necessary coaching and development is in place to empower employees to deliver consistently high standards.
- Proven track record of building and maintaining external relationships with customers and raising the business profile, with a view to long term increase in profitability.
- Can recognise, and act upon, trends and opportunities to help develop the business.
- Skilled in the alignment of trends and opportunity with the development and delivery of marketing plans as well as leading trade market initiatives.
- Excellent communication skills. Confident in ability to present information to board level within the organisation.
- A natural communicator with strong interpersonal skills.
- Empathic to the needs of a ‘life and death’ business with genuine concern for and prioritisation of animal welfare.
- Understands the balance between commercial requirements of the business and necessity to ensure excellent clinical standards are maintained.
If you feel you have the skills and experience to make a success of this exciting and unique role, please send your CV and covering letter (outlining current salary and salary expectations) to Jay Hamill, Principal Recruitment Partner at Vets Now - email@example.com or call 01383841181.